The United Nations Secretary-General’s Climate Ambition Summit showcased “first movers and doers” responding to the call for accelerated climate action. Taking place at the UN headquarters in New York on 20 September 2023, the Summit championed leadership, solutions and ambitious actions that are driving the transition to a low-carbon, equitable and climate-resilient global economy. All […]
Race to Zero: May Roundup
As of now, Race to Zero comprises a network of over 12,000 members committed to the same overarching goal: reducing emissions, across all scopes, swiftly and fairly in line with the Paris Agreement, with transparent action plans and robust near-term targets.
Discover more about them via our interactive dashboard.
The main emphasis for the Race to Zero team this month continues to be working closely with our partners to catalyze significant voluntary actions throughout the economy.
We had the pleasure this month of welcoming Tessa Ferry to the Race to Zero. Tessa will be responsible for overseeing the campaign and leading the dynamic team to continue to deliver our key strategic priorities. Tessa brings with her a wealth of international climate experience to this role. Prior to joining the Champions Team in 2022, she worked as Head of International Climate Change for the Scottish Government, leading preparations for COP26, including partnering on the first multi-level action pavilion focused on the role of states, regions and cities, and overseeing the delivery of the world’s first loss and damage funding announcement. As part of this role, Tessa oversaw the decision for Scotland to become a first mover to join the Race to Zero. Her role also included running the Scottish Government’s Climate Justice programme and supporting the integration of climate justice principles in net zero legislation.
In addition to Tessa, we are proud to have a dynamic team continuing to spearhead our campaign, including Tessa Vincent (Policy & Engagement Lead), Jane Eisenhardt (Acceleration and Engagement Manager), and Saurabh Jain (Expert Peer Review Group Manager). We are currently looking to expand our team by hiring a Finance Associate and a Youth Fellow.
Partners and Accelerators
- Planet Mark has shared a valuable blog on the significance of sustainability reporting. The blog underscores the business advantages of sustainability reporting beyond regulatory requirements and stakeholder demands.
- Business Declares has formulated a Blueprint for climate activism policy, addressing the growing desire among employees to participate in various climate activism forms.
- C40, a partner of Cities Race to Zero, has released a series produced by BBC StoryWorks that illustrates how cities are taking urgent climate action towards a green and just future.
- Günther Thallinger, Chair of Net Zero Asset Owners Alliance, authored an article on driving efforts in climate action and sustainable investments, discussing the prominent role of the financial sector in creating an inclusive and sustainable future.
- We are delighted to welcome Accelerator Digizen from Taiwan to Race to Zero. As an innovative NGO, Digizen fosters connections across society and industry to achieve ESG and net zero goals.
- Net Zero Pakistan has launched their comprehensive Net Zero Toolkit, which guides businesses in their journey towards net zero goals.
- The Community Impact Challenge has initiated the StartNOW Challenge, encouraging climate impactivists to deepen their understanding of climate change and take decisive actions to reduce their carbon footprints.
- The Corporate Leaders Group has launched three insightful reports this month, highlighting various aspects of decarbonisation:
This year, Race to Zero is actively welcoming Accelerators capable of making the campaign and net zero goals more relatable worldwide. If you are a regional or country-based Accelerator, particularly in developing and emerging economies, willing to contribute to Race to Zero’s mission of halving global emissions by 2030, kindly review our website and apply here.
Expert Peer Review Group
Manjyot Kaur Ahluwalia, Ph.D., a member of the Expert Peer Review Group, recently spoke at a panel discussion on ‘Food Loss and Waste as a Climate Strategy,’ emphasizing the crucial role of addressing these emissions as a strategic method to enhance livelihoods, health, productivity, and environmental justice. You can find out about Climate Champions’ Food Breakthroughs here.
Other relevant updates relevant to the Expert Peer Review Group and Partner updates are here.
We are delighted to invite you to “The Race is On: Net Zero & Nature Positive for Climate Action” at The Conduit, London, as part of London Climate Action Week on Monday, 26 June. This event is organised by The Climate Champions Team and Race to Zero, along with our Partners. Spaces are limited, with priority for Race to Zero’s Partners and Accelerators, but you can register here.
Additionally, Race to Zero is a proud partner for the Climate Innovation Forum during London Climate Action Week. At the Climate Innovation Forum, Race to Zero will be hosting a Roundtable discussion on ‘The Road to Regulation’. If you are interested in attending, please get in touch with Tessa Vincent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amid rising voluntary climate commitments, Dr Mahmoud Mohieldin and H.E Razan Al Mubarak, UN Climate Change High-Level Champions for COP27 and COP28 call on governments to implement clear net zero rules, regulations, and incentives.
Race to Zero latest: Japan leads with highest number of companies setting science-based targets in 2022
Dive into our monthly update to discover how global leaders are accelerating the journey to net zero.
In an open letter coordinated by Climate Group and We Mean Business Coalition, leading Indian businesses and companies operating in India have written to G20 leaders with seven key policy asks.