Former minister for Botswana, global economist and international trade and development specialist, Bogolo Kenewendo has been appointed as the UN Climate Change High-Level Champions’ Special Advisor, Africa Director.
Japan “Race to Zero” Business Roundtable 2.09 September 2021, 4.00-5.30 pm JST
On 9 September 2021, 4.00-5.30 pm JST, the United Nations COP26 High-Level Champion for Climate Action, Nigel Topping, together with the UK’s Ambassador to Japan, HMA Julia Longbottom CMG, will convene senior Japanese and international business leaders for a roundtable event, to showcase Japanese business climate leadership and accelerating momentum in the pursuit of the “Race to Zero”, the flagship campaign for mobilizing non-state actors to pursue net zero emissions by 2050 at the very latest in the run up to the COP26 UN Climate Summit in Glasgow later this year.
Following a successful first round table on 19 April 2021, this Roundtable 2.0 will focus on recent developments in the power generation and automotive sectors, where Japanese companies are stepping forward with greater purpose than ever before. While direct participation in the Roundtable is by invitation only, the event will be available for viewing online via Zoom following registration here. Simultaneous Japanese / English translation will be available throughout the session, which will be recorded for later viewing.
- Nigel Topping, UN High Level Climate Champion for COP26
- HMA Julia Longbottom CMG, British Embassy Tokyo
- Mr Alastair Philips-Davies, CEO, SSE (a COP26 Principal Partner)
- Mr Satoshi Onoda, President, JERA
- Ms Lindsay McQuade, CEO, Scottish Power Renewables (a COP26 Principal Partner)
- Mr Kazumichi Matsumoto, General Manager, Corporate Planning Division, Kyushu Electric Power
- Mr Craig Dyke, Head of International Decarbonisation, National Grid (a COP26 Principal Partner)
- Mr Makoto Uchida, CEO, Nissan Motor Co.
- Mr Stuart Templar, Director, Global Sustainability, Volvo Cars
Dr Mahmoud Mohieldin, UN Climate Change High-Level Champion for Egypt, said that the upcoming UN Climate Change summit in Sharm El Sheikh (COP27) will be a global conference with an African focus, where key African climate initiatives will be announced.
Dr Mahmoud Mohieldin, the UN High-Level Champion for Egypt, participated on Monday via video conference in the Insurance Development Forum (IDF) Summit held in Switzerland.
UN-backed Race to Zero campaign updates its criteria following major international consultation with over 200 experts and civil society groups.